Asphalt driveways must be kept in good condition. This applies to both their aesthetics and the comfort of use. Walking on a broken asphalt path is dangerous, especially in wet weather.
The presence of defects in the asphalt accelerates the destruction.
If measures are not taken in time, it is impossible to restore the asphalt, and you will have to make a new driveway. Protect your asphalt and the people who use it by doing your cold patch asphalt repair today. Why take a chance on breaking your vehicle, or a person getting hurt?
Freezing and thawing weather can cause damage to asphalt over time. However, cracks and small holes can be repaired quite quickly. Cold patch asphalt will fix potholes at any time of year!
In this article, we will look at the asphalt repair patches products that are used for patching asphalt.
Asphalt Crack Repair - Best Choice
Asphalt Driveway Repair
Asphalt is one of the most popular construction materials. Above all, asphalt is used in road construction. Typical for the building material is its composition of small stones, which together form a flat picture. In addition to hot asphalt, which is processed hot, there is also cold asphalt or repair asphalt. This can be processed cold, which is why it is used primarily in winter.
What is cold asphalt or repair asphalt?
Cold asphalt or repair asphalt is the counterpart to hot asphalt. Both types of asphalt consist of small stones, which are put together. The stones used are mixed with bitumen, which in turn is obtained from petroleum. The bitumen holds the small stones together. By default, asphalt must be heated to make the bitumens stick as a binder. However, only hot asphalt is heated, which allows it to be processed. Especially in winter, however, the problem arises that hot asphalt no longer adheres at an outside temperature of less than seven degrees. Therefore, cold asphalt is used in winter. This has the property that it can be processed cold, which makes it independent of the outside temperature. It is also composed of small stones. However, a mixture of bitumen and water is used as a binder.
Areas of application of cold asphalt
The typical field of application is road repair in winter. Due to its properties, it adheres even at outside temperatures below seven degrees. However, cold asphalt or repair asphalt is only suitable for urgently needed repairs, because the asphalt is much more expensive than the classic hot asphalt. In addition, it breaks down much faster than hot asphalt. If road repairs have to be carried out in winter, cold asphalt is always used as long as the outside temperature is less than seven degrees. As soon as repairs are required at higher outside temperatures, it is usually replaced by hot asphalt.
This form of asphalt is also suitable for private repairs of potholes in the yard, garden, or even the terrace, as it does not require any other knowledge and is very easy to use. You do not need any other machines to heat the asphalt. It is simply filled into the respective hole and then compacted with a hand tamper.
Properties of good repair asphalt
In general, cold asphalt has the property that the cold mix can be stored well. If it is packed in airtight containers, the repair mix lasts for months, which allows the asphalt to be processed later. In addition, the mix hardens only after contact with outside air. Cold asphalt is available with a grain size of 5 or 8 mm. Many users prefer the finer grain size of 5 mm, as its smaller size allows it to repair both small and large areas well. However, if roads or pavements need to be repaired that are subject to heavy loads, such as daily truck traffic, the 8 mm grit should be used. This withstands particular loads better than the finer grit.
Stability of cold asphalt
Cold asphalt hardens immediately after contact with ambient air. Thus, sidewalks and roads with light traffic can be walked or driven on immediately after the repair. However, the asphalt must not be subjected to heavy traffic immediately after spreading. In order for the asphalt layer to cure optimally, the asphalt needs several days for the bitumen emulsion to set. Even after the asphalt has been spread, it has the property that it remains flexible to a certain extent and thus yields significantly to heavy point loads. Unevenness in the asphalt is then automatically compensated for by road traffic and the associated force of gravity. Once the cold asphalt has fully cured, the new asphalt surface course is extremely hard and resistant.
Perfect for repairing potholes in asphalt or concrete roads, driveways, parking lots, manholes, water valves, drains, and edge repairs. Road Rescue covers 7 Sq. Ft which is 35% more square footage per pound than most other products on the market. Road Rescue works in any weather – hot or cold, wet or dry.
Repair Potholes in Asphalt using Sakrete – Video
Buyer’s guide for the cold asphalt patch
This review and guide provide information on some best cold asphalt patch you can find.
There are quite a few manufacturers of a cold asphalt patch on the market, and the prices vary greatly. From a pure price point of view, the type of cold asphalt patch can be priced from $27 to $80.
Best asphalt driveway crack repair
All our reviews are based exclusively on expert judgments or practical experience with most of the cold asphalt patch we have tested. We strive to make our guide as independent and as detailed as possible.
Cold asphalt patches in comparison
SAKRETE Cold Patch Permanent Pothole Repair
Can be used in all weather conditions
A revolutionary ready-to-use recycled asphalt product for permanently repairing potholes, cracks, and other defects in asphalt and concrete surfaces. It is dry, odorless, and contains none of the hazardous volatile found in typical cold asphalts. Tests have proven that Sakrete U.S. Cold Patch is stronger, easier to use, and much safer than other comparable products.
EcoClean Solutions asphalt patch & pothole filler
Fix potholes fast
It is a simple, durable solution for filling cracks, potholes, and fault lines. This sealant is made from a mix of flexible, yet resilient ingredients, including screened aggregate, tar, and asphalt binders. It remains pliable within its container until it is applied to pavement surfaces, and remains loose enough for easy application at 15ºF. Once it sets up, it keeps cracks sealed at all temperatures.
Henry Blacktop Repair
Tack Free Immediately After Compacting, Dry Time – Light Traffic Immediately After Compacting, Dry Time Immediately After Compacting, Application Temperature Product to Be Room Temperature Prior to Application, Application Method Trowel, Rake or Shovel, Asphalt.
BullCrete Premium Tire Rubber
Unique blend of polymers and ground tire rubber
Modified Pothole Patch is an all-weather high-performance pothole patch that forms a permanent repair for potholes, large cracks, utility cuts, and more. It can be used in both wet and dry conditions. It’s rapid-setting formula makes it ready for traffic instantly.
Causes of Asphalt Pavement Destruction
There are several causes of asphalt deterioration:
- Natural wear and tear. Asphalt has a certain lifespan, after which the material begins to lose its strength and integrity. Poor-quality asphalt breaks down even faster.
- Violation of the installation technology. Lack of drainage, quality base provokes the subsidence of the soil under the asphalt, which leads to the formation of cracks and the appearance of pits. Particularly dangerous is the moisture in the winter. It accumulates in the pores of the asphalt pavement and at freezing increases in size, literally tearing the asphalt from the inside.
- Failure to follow operating rules. Pedestrian walkways are not designed to move heavy equipment. In the summer asphalt heats up a lot, it becomes relatively soft, so it is strongly not recommended to put heavy objects on it.
Repairing asphalt – what to consider
If your driveway or private path needs renovation, and you need to repair asphalt, we’ll show you how to do it here:
- Liquid bitumen is quite suitable for small cracks. Before you fill the crack, however, you need to clean it up first. This means that you remove all loose pieces of the old asphalt.
- If the sand or soil in the crack is very dry, moisten the ground a little first. Before you continue, the water must have completely seeped away.
- To achieve a permanently good result, first, coat the crack edges with the liquid bitumen using a strong-bristled brush and a trowel.
- Then mix the liquid bitumen with a little fine sand. However, the mixture should still be easy to spread. Use it to fill the crack. A trowel is best suited for this purpose. You can also use a spatula here.
- When the crack is completely filled, smooth the surface. Then sprinkle it with a little sand.
Repairing larger holes
So-called cold asphalt is best suited for repairing larger holes:
- Here, too, you must first remove all dirt and other loose components from the hole to be worked on.
- Very dry surfaces should also be moistened. Here, too, it is important: it must not be wet, in the highest case damp.
- If the hole is deep, you can fill it a little with filler material. Use a material that can be pressed well. For example, ground limestone or very fine split is suitable here. Press the relining well. Alternatively, fill the hole with a little concrete in advance.
- It is ideal if you also prepare the substrate here with a bitumen coating.
- Then fill the already prepared cold asphalt into the hole. Ideally, the surface here is not flat but slightly raised.
- After that, the asphalt must be sprayed with a little water and compacted. If it is only a small hole, a hand tamper is sufficient.
- For larger areas, a vibratory machine, which you can rent from a building materials store, is recommended for compacting and for better fixing of the compound.
Tip: If you are dealing with a larger area or even a very deep hole, consult a mason from the field of civil engineering or road construction. He can advise you whether cold asphalt is suitable for larger dimensions.
Cold Asphalt Patch Price:
A sphalt Patch Price Under $50
- Road Rescue Asphalt Repair
- SAKRETE Cold Patch
- Henry Blacktop Repair
Asphalt Patch Price Under $100
- BullCrete Premium Tire Rubber
- EcoClean Solutions asphalt patch & pothole filler
Best Cold Asphalt Patch’s Brand:
- Road Rescue.
- EcoClean Solutions.
Driveway Pothole Repair - Video
FAQ - Asphalt Driveway Repair
Allow repaired area to cure for a minimum of 30 days (preferably 90 days or more) before applying driveway sealer.
Cold patch is really only a quick, temporary fix for a tough break. A cold patch does not need to be heated or sustained at a certain warm temperature.
Use asphalt paste patch that contains fine aggregate to fill small holes and gaps along curbing. Mound the repair above the surface, the way crews do on roads. They let car tires reduce the speed bumps and gradually compact the mix. You can use a heavy metal tamper, or the end of a 2-by-4, to pound the patch nearly flat.