Rake for most common garden work
The most popular were the so-called universal models – direct versions that look like the letter “T”.
Such a tool may have flat and slightly curved pins, as well as twisted teeth. The first two variants are good for raking garbage and heavy grass. The latter are better for breaking lumps of ground.
There are such rakes for the width of the working part:
- With a low grip: 100 – 200 mm.
- With an average: 300 – 500 mm.
- With a large: 500 – 700 mm.
The width of the rake should be selected under the conditions of the treated area. The tool itself can be made of completely different materials, including plastic and wood. On the other hand, variants with flat teeth are made of a solid piece of metal, in fact, as well as twisted. Pin teeth can be both metal and wooden, they are fixed in pre-prepared grooves perpendicular to the working bar. The latter, especially with a wide comb, are excellent for raking hay, as well as dry leaves.
Pros and cons of garden rakes
- Firstly, it is versatility rake: putting order on the site, cleaning the lawn, loosening the soil, raking the roots and weeds from the beds – these are not all types of work that can be done with their help.
- Secondly, if necessary, this equipment can be made by yourself: it is not complicated and quite cheap option.
In addition, a garden rake will serve you for a long time, if you initially choose them correctly for your needs.
It is necessary to mention the disadvantages of the garden equipment.
If you consider the shortcomings of garden rake, based on the material, the durability and strength of plastic and metal models will differ in favor of the second. However, plastic – more flexible and lightweight and easier to work with them.
If the stalk at the tool made of wood, be prepared for the fact that after winter storage, it can dry up and hang.
Criteria for selecting garden rake
The width of the working crossbar garden rake. It varies from 10 to 70 cm, however, most rakes have a width of 30-50 cm. If you need a rake for inaccessible areas, take a tool with a 10-20 cm wide crossbar. The widest rake is usually made of lightweight materials. They are usually designed for raking dry leaves, grass, and lawn cleaning.
- after work, clean the tool from the ground and dust and rinse with water;
- if there is rust, remove it with a brush. It is better to remove a thick layer of rust with special means;
- dry out all the working parts of the tool and lubricate the metal parts with special care oil;
- keep the rake in a cool, dry room or wooden box.
As for the preparation of the tool for wintering, the following stages can be distinguished here:
- Thoroughly clean, rinse and dry the rake for 2-3 hours in dry sunny weather.
- Miss the metal parts with a special tool or used machine oil.
- Clean the handle from the grass and earth, sand with fine sandpaper and coat with a layer of varnish so that the wood does not absorb moisture.
- Install vertically, hang or, if possible, place on a shelf in a dry, ventilated room away from direct sunlight.
- Check the rake handles before the next season starts. If they are dry and dangling – put them in water for a couple of days, then grease all metal parts with a compound against rust.