Repair playground rubber flooring
Very often, after a couple of years of use seamless surface, especially in places of heavy load, the rubber surface is in disrepair, and you need to “hole” repair the playground.
How to patch the wear layer in your playground rubber flooring
Rubber floor coatings with rubber granules on small surfaces are used wherever slip resistance, sound insulation, elasticity and fall protection and the design of individual aesthetically demanding surfaces without steps and trip hazards are required.
Use and Durability
Rubber covers are durable, have high strength, do not wear out with heavy loads, are frost and moisture resistant, can be used at any time of year, have excellent shock absorption when walking, reducing the load on the joints, do not require special maintenance. But there are cases of improper use, due to which there are damages in the form of torn edges or even torn-off parts of the coating. What to do in such cases? Change the whole thing? No. After all, another advantage of the rubber crumb is its maintainability. In such cases, it is enough to simply repair the damaged area.
The main causes of poor quality coating are a violation of the technology of laying rubber crumb, improper operation, and improper maintenance of the rubber coating. As a rule, such repairs are expensive.
But is it possible to make repairs to the playground rubber crumb coating yourself? Yes, it is possible. The main thing is to find the right rubber crumb and appropriate quality polyurethane adhesive. Please note that the quality of the future rubber layer depends largely on the polymer binder adhesive.
Work procedure for repairing rubber seamless pavement
For work, you will need a rubber crumb, polyurethane adhesive, dye, a container for mixing the adhesive with crumb and dye, a construction punch with a nozzle, scales for weighing components, roller, trowel, and rule.
- The first thing to do is to isolate the problem areas and prepare the work surface for repair.
- Make a clear-cut and remove the old, worn coating. Clean the work area and, if necessary, level the surface. The substrate must be hard, dry, and without cracks.
- Next, dilute part of the polymer adhesive with turpentine in the ratio of 1:1 to prime the base.
- Cover the work surface with fresh primer and wait for it to dry completely.
- The consumption of the mixture is 0.55-0.66 pounds per square foot.
- The treated surface will improve the adhesion of the pointless coating with the base.
The composition of the rubber mixture at the rate of 10 sq. f. at a coating thickness of 0.4″:
- Crumb rubber (fraction of 1/8″) – 15.4 pounds;
- Dye (green) – 0.66 Pounds;
- Glue polyurethane – 3.3 pounds.
Note that the proportions of components may vary depending on the specific requirements of the coating.
The covering is cut off at a distance of 15-20 cm from the damaged place. The cut area may have any shape, flower circle, or something else – the cut edges should be strictly perpendicular to the base. After that, the surface is cleaned from dust and dirt and primed and re-applied a mixture of crumb polyurethane binder and pigmented dye. And after 24 hours the surface is ready for use.
If the playground is made of rubber tiles, it is enough to replace the damaged tiles without dismantling the entire base.
Tools for Fixing Rubber Playground
Playsafer Rubber Mulch for Playgrounds
RevTime Easy DIY Rubber Tiles
L R Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant
Why is it important to carry out repairs in time?
Although sites with seamless pavement and are durable, it is still worth it at the beginning and end of the season of summer and winter to conduct a thorough inspection to identify visible and hidden damage. After all, when the damage is a small area it is easier and cheaper to repair than when small delamination is not noticed in time will lead to damage to half of the coating and then the repair cost will be higher at times. And the repair time will also increase. To maintain the object in proper quality, it is worth conducting timely inspections for damage, as well as once a season to wash it with a detergent. In time, to remove organic debris in the form of leaves and sand, and then the service life will be many times longer.
Advantages of Rubber Flooring
- Modern rubber coverings have a huge number of advantages compared to other types of floor coverings.
- Coatings of the roll type or special rubber tiles are the leaders among other flooring materials today.
Quality Crumb Rubber Flooring
First, this material is extremely versatile. It is used in the arrangement of children’s and sports grounds, and in the laying of floors in offices or premises, workshops, or industrial buildings.
Tiles made of environmentally friendly rubber crumb is the perfect solution for the construction of the playground thanks to its excellent unique properties and distinctive features. The quality rubber coating is absolutely traumatic for children – and this is very important!
Moisture-absorbing surface, thickness, and composition of the coating create a wonderful shock-absorbing effect and provide a beautiful and aesthetic appearance of any playground.
Traumatic safety tile made of crumb rubber can withstand really heavy loads. The crumb rubber, included in the composition, provides a long life of this material.
Features of Rubber Crumb Coating for Playgrounds:
- Longevity and durability;
- Beautiful, aesthetic appearance;
- Traumatic safety;
- Easy laying and easy care;
- Resistance to a variety of household chemicals, aggressive detergents;
- Environmental safety;
- Resistance to fire;
- Rubber coverings are easy enough to clean any type of dirt. Such coverage will serve you faithfully for many years;
- Quality rubber tiles can retain their properties for 15 years, and proper installation and use can add another 5-10 years;
- A good tile with flecks of rubber crumb can be laid anywhere while being completely environmentally friendly.
How to Repair the Layer of the Playground Rubber Flooring – Video
FAQ - Repairing of the Rubber Playground Cover
Rubber mulch is non-toxic and safe for use around children and pets. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) published a playground safety surfacing guideline for public playgrounds, stating rubber mulch is an appropriate loose-fill surfacing material for use on commercial playgrounds.
Most manufacturers state it recycled rubber mulch will last for ten years, if not longer. Most dyes used during the rubber mulch manufacturing process will not fade or deteriorate a quickly as wood mulch.
Lay landscaping fabric. Cloth landscape fabrics are especially beneficial, as they allow water to flow into the ground beneath, preventing flooding and runoff. To install the fabric, roll it out far enough to cover the entire area you’re planning to mulch. Secure the fabric with garden staples, rocks or pavers.